Monday, June 15, 2009

Chicken poop and a preteen patriot

Monday, June 15 - Ghana Adventure Day 10
More of today's photos in slideshow section 2 - click HERE to view.
(back-dated post completed July 19)

We had a nice breakfast today, then went to the main office to buy some internet minutes. Enyonam had mentioned organizing something for Lydia’s birthday, and Patience must be in on it, because she made it a point to check with me as to which day the birthday was…I wonder what they are up to? There is actually some signal in the office, so I spent quite a while working on an e-mail to almost everyone on my contact list to update them on our adventure so far. No time to post pictures, though, since there was only so much time in the office the girls could tolerate.
I reluctantly agreed to go out in the heat of the day, since nobody got sunburned yesterday. We even dared to head out around noon, and stayed out until after 4:00. We started at the pool, and though Akos didn’t want to get in at first, she eventually went over and took her shorts off, got her floatie vest on, and joined me on the steps of the pool. Soon, she was in the pool with me. After a while, we went to the beach again, looking for more crabs, then they played on the swingset. I got some good cross-stitching time in. Then, back to the pool, and surprise! Akos got into the water with Lydia, without me!!! The two of them looked so sweet together, and they had lots of fun throwing and chasing Lydia’s new diving balls.

The girls wanted to eat in the room, so we had freeze-dried Jamaican chicken and rice. Fairly good. Then, Akos did Lydia’s hair in about 6 or 7 little ponytails – she was quite proud of herself! Uncle P tells us that the hairstyle's name, when translated from Twi to English, means "chicken poop." Lovely. LOL

After that, we went out for dessert – we met a little 8-year-old African-American social butterfly named Jaida. She came right up to us, smiled, and said proudly and clearly, “Hi! I’m Jaida. I’m from the United States of AMERICA!” She just cracked me up. Immediately, she poked her nose into what I was was doing on the computer and was dictating what I should tell Don on Skype! LOL I kept trying to get internet signal – we are supposedly at a good spot for internet when we’re at the restaurant – but no luck. After many tries, and many different tables and huts, one of the managers offered for me to come to his office after dessert and use the internet there. His office was downright chilly – I loved it! We finally got a great signal, such that we were able to Skype with Daddy! So, Akos got so see Don in motion – not just a photo – for the first time. They both enjoyed it, as did Lydia and I. Don brought Kente to the computer to say hi. Apparently, he is still enjoying torturing the other cats. Naughty Kente! ☺

Well, that’s all for now – goodnight!
Jeanie

No comments: