Tuesday, June 9, 2009

An introduction to the streets of Accra

Tuesday, June 9 - Ghana Adventure Day 4
More of today's photos in slideshow section 1 - click HERE to view.
(back-dated post completed June 25th)

The girls woke up around 6 am and started playing Nintendo! Crazy kids! Akos is smiling more, but not talking much. I was worried she didn’t understand anything – but she has spoken a few barely audible sentences. She can also write her number and do addition – Lydia was working a math workbook with her! We got up around 9, and the girls got all dressed up for another day at the embassy. Aren't they sweet?

Then, we went for a short walk. We brought Dum-Dums and Tootsie Rolls in case we saw kids, but no kids around. We had many taxis approach us, but we just shook our heads – we wanted to walk.

I got some cute photos of the girls holding hands while they walked, and by a tree near the hotel with sunglasses on. I don’t think Akos has had those before – she likes them! Unfortunately, those photos are on a different camera, for which I don't have the transfer cable. I'll add some later.

We were going to shower when we got back, but no water right now. I’m so glad for the Yahoo groups, so that I knew to expect this. So, it doesn’t bother me a bit. Who cares if I shower – as soon as I set foot outside, I’m drenched with sweat anyway.

Our coordinator was here a little early - we gave him the gifts we had brought f
or his children, and he said we had made his day! We went to the embassy for our appointment then realized that when we went to the internet cafĂ© to scan the I-600, the employee scanned it, but never gave either of us the original!!! Uh-oh…but our coordinator came to the rescue! He dashed off to get it, and I just smiled and let the others waiting for appointments go into the interview room first. Finally, he returned…success! We got the paperwork filed just fine. We were told 30 days maximum. No problem – we planned on about that. As we left, I ran into Karen Larson, who I’d met the day before, and she said that the last few (like Awo’s) from the Yahoo group had been finished and approved in a week! She’s hoping for that. I sent Don a text message about it – I’m not sure we should just rush home in a week – Akos may need a bit more time to adjust. Plus, I had planned to take them sightseeing. I want her to experience more of Ghana before leaving her homeland. He thinks we shouldn’t leave too soon, either. But, we’re thinking that if we’re done early, maybe we’ll try to come back about a week early – Don said that would be great – we could see the 4th of July fireworks, maybe even at Lost Valley.

After the embassy visit, we went to buy some soda and bottled water for the room. We bought it from a very nice market lady named Lydia! I took a picture, with her permission (she was actually very happy about being in the picture!) of two Lydia together at her shop.

We saw amazing things for sale on the streets. Most of the shops here seem to specialize in something - this one sells plastic baskets.

Refrigerators are even for sale on the streets of Accra. You can find all kinds of things here - one shop specialized in used irons, another in used tires, another with a huge pile of rusty auto parts, and several furniture shops.

If the sign didn't say it, people surely would urinate here. They do everywhere else. (They probably do here, too, despite the sign...)

Percy took a shortcut through a dump site, where lots of kids were playing – it’s the only space they have if they’re in the poorer class. They don’t have bathrooms – a little boy was pooping on the ground right in front of everyone. (I had the strange realization afterward that he was literally taking a dump in the dump…it would be a funny pun if it weren’t so terribly sad.) Anyway, I asked about Esther’s – Akos had something that looked like a toilet, but was just a hole into a septic tank – no running water. No wonder she doesn’t know to flush. She also doesn’t understand washing her hands. Where she lived before Esther’s, Akos wouldn’t really have had any type of bathroom to use at all.

As of today I have a Ghana phone to use – it was purchased by some of the other Hopscotch parents and left here for others to use. We bought a card with phone minutes on the street, right from our car! It worked fine, and costs only about 20-30 pesuas per minute (about 14-20 cents.) Yay! Easier to call home now – much better than my $2.49 a minute. I still like texting, though, since it’s only 50 cents. Sure wish I could get internet access...

I had another oops when we came back to the hotel – I realized the embassy security staff didn’t give back my keys to the safe – and those are the only keys to it the hotel has!!! But, our coordinator rescued us again and went to fetch the keys. Many thanks to him!

The girls played more Nintendo and iPod games, and listened to some music. Akos taught Lydia how to spin a coin. We couldn’t figure out to recharge the Nintendo, though – but finally found one adapter that would work, with a converter. Most of my adapters are too big – they press on a switch right next to the outlet holes that turns the outlet itself right off! Poor design of outlet, adapter, or both!

We made Easy Mac with the kettle – a bit mushy, but not too bad. Akos and Lydia loved it. For dinner, we ate downstairs – Lydia has spaghetti with no sauce. Akos had Jollof rice and chicken stew; I had Jollof rice with only vegetable stew. We wanted to have dessert, but Joseph smiled sheepishly and told us they don’t have any desserts. They have about 10 on the menu, but nothing actually here. Oh, well – I had read to expect that, too…no worries. That’s why we brought plenty of snacks. ☺

After dinner, we washed some clothes in the sink – we have water now – and then watched "America's Funniest Home Videos: Animal Extravaganza" on the laptop. The girls were lying on the bed on their tummies, and I was sitting next to Akos. She rested her head so sweetly on my leg. It was the first time she really sought out affection from me. She’s starting to warm up to us really well. She is more carefree and natural with Lydia than with me – Lydia can get her to laugh, to run, and sometimes to speak. Akos always wants to hold hands with Lydia, and they hug each other a LOT. It’s adorable, and I love it!

Akos loves the doll I made her. She takes "good" care of it - she brushed its curly hair completely straight, and also gave it a bath in the sink, with soap and everything! Oh well, she's never had such things before and doesn't know how to care for it properly. Someday, I can make her a new one - but for now, I'll let her love on it any way she wants to! :) Well, sweet little Kosi fell asleep snuggling the doll I made her while AFV was nearing the end. They played hard today.

Tomorrow, we plan to get her medical done. Percy might be going to Central Region – maybe he could ask Edward to drive us to Golden Tulip – the girls really want to swim!

Well, I’m getting tired – I want to cross-stitch but can barely see…the light is so dim. Lydia’s bedside lamp works, but mine doesn’t. Oh, well… ☺

More tomorrow...hugs to all!
Jeanie

No comments: