Friday, June 12, 2009

First aid, first thing in the morning

Friday, June 12 - Ghana Adventure Day 7
More of today's photos in slideshow section 2 - click HERE to view.
(back-dated post completed July 19)

Akos woke up back to her usual self . What a relief. I did make sure to tell her many times last night, that it’s OK if she needs to cry, OK if she misses her birth family, OK to feel unsure about her new life with us, and that we would not be angry with her, but always love her. I think that helped. I wonder if the attention we gave to the baby last night made Akos feel insecure about our love for her?

We planned to go to Kakum National Park this morning. We were in a rush, so decided to make oatmeal in the room for breakfast. While I made the oatmeal, the girls played outside. Then, Lydia rushed in to tell me a man was bleeding out there. I went out to check – it was one of the hotel employees – the plumber. He had tried to remove a toilet, which cracked and sliced both his middle fingers nearly to the bone. On the right side, he cut a vessel, so had a lot of bleeding from that one. The staff were pretty frantic, trying to wash it and put old rags on it. I told them I was a doctor and asked if they needed help. They certainly did, and they were VERY grateful. The man’s name was Eric. HE was in SO much pain. I had to remove some pieces of ceramic form his wound, wash both with our sterile water and some antiseptic, and bandage them with pressure dressings. All of this while he tried not to pass out from the pain. He needed stitches, so I went with them to the clinic (Ghana Health Clinic in Elmina) to make sure they had sterile supplies to use, and would give him a tetanus shot and antibiotic. They were worried he might be dizzy from losing a lot of blood, but Enyonam, the very nice lady who came with us, said she saw it, and it was only about half a pint. He was afraid of the needle when they came with his shot, so I think he was more faint from pain and the sight of blood than anything. It took about 4 hours of waiting before he was done. They gave him IV fluids, gave the tetanus shot, and prescribed antibiotics. I sat with him the whole time. He thanked me many times, and said “God bless you more and more and more and more and more…” The hotel staff was so appreciative, too. I didn’t really feel I had done all that much, but I’m glad it meant so much to them. The front office manager even called personally to talk to me and thank me, and the housekeeper made our rooms all beautiful with fresh flowers arranged all over the bed –looked kind of romantic – just beautiful. And yes, Uncle P got flowers, too – very “manly” pink and purple flowers, and I did not hesitate to give him trouble about it!

The clinic was so crowded – the nurse said they had about 250 patients to see. There was old equipment, probably 50 years old or more, dirty supplies, mold and mildew everywhere, torn-up flooring, dirt, no lights (not even in the room they used for suturing), and dingy curtains covering the doorways. Just dismal. But, the doctor, though hurried, was very professional and did his job well. People in the US complain so much about our health care – well, they should see what it could be like – they should see it here. We were lucky – they had almost run out of local anesthetic for Eric, but found some.

After the clinic run, the girls and I went to the pool. Akos has never been swimming before. She clung to me for dear life, but eventually put her feet on the bottom (of the kiddie pool). She didn’t want to hold Lydia’s hand, just mine. We had a flotation vest on her, but she didn’t understand what it was. Then the weirdness started – several men wanted their pictures taken with me – I guess just the novelty of an old obruni in the pool? But then, one named Johnny, said he wanted to sing with me, then came over into the kiddie pool with us and started flirting with me!!! He even asked for my phone number! Even telling him I was married and showing my ring didn’t ward him off. He kept following us around, but was nice about it, not threatening in any way. I still didn’t like it, but I didn’t feel unsafe. He befriended Lydia quickly, and started having races across the pool with her. We went to the beach and saw some huge crabs scurrying on the rocks. Very cool! Then, some guys were playing “football” (soccer) and one of them came and spoke with me, then asked for my number, too! Unbelievable. Than, the last was another young man who swooshed over to me, said he had been admiring me from afar, and that he wanted to marry me! Jeez – are they not blind?? I think I might have lost some weight here, but not that much!

Finally, we found some peace and quiet at the western end of the beach, with a single lounge chair and a playset. Akos had also never been to the beach, nor had she been on a swing. She wouldn’t scoot her hiny back far enough and slipped forward off the swing several times (into soft sand, though, so she was fine). Lydia and Akos had an absolutely wonderful time together today.

After that, we came to the room and found the beautiful flower decorations. Some of the fresh flowers were even placed in rolls of toilet paper as if they were vases. Sounds strange, but it was elegant and beautiful! Also, we found that the room was amost frigid. Yay! They got the air conditioner fixed for me!

Around 6:30, we went to dinner. Akos had Jollof rice, Lydia had chicken and French fries, and I had Banku with Okro Stew. Banku is a pasty substance made of corn, I think. The stew had okra, and a LOT of peppery spice. It also had three kinds of meat in it – crab, beef (if it really was beef…) and (watay?), which is the hairy hump from the back of a cow’s neck (the cows have sort of camel-type humps here, but near the neck). I actually tried everything, ate almost all the crab, and quite a bit of the veggie parts of the stew and the banku. I don’t think the “crab” was actually crab, though, because I can’t explain the bones in it. (Aren't crabs invertebrates???) I’m not sure I want to know what it really was, but it did taste good. We treated ourselves to chocolate and vanilla gateau for dessert. I left a nice tip for the waiter, and he didn’t understand it was for him. He actually came all the way to our room to bring me my change!

Uncle P got home after we got back from dinner. Lydia asked sternly, “Where have you been???” We talked for a while, and the girls played with him. Lydia is playing “football” now, and was practicing hitting the ball to him with her head! We took some video of it, and also took some video of Akos so she could watch herself on the screen (which she thoroughly enjoyed). Now, as I type this, the girls are having issues over who sleeps where – Akos wants to sleep with me, I want the girls to sleep together (so I can get some rest tonight), and Lydia is feeling it’s unfair she can’t be by me. Oh well, they’re sisters through and through.

Till next time...
Jeanie

No comments: