Monday, April 6, 2009

God at the end of the checkout lane

OK, this post is quite strange, but the end message is one I thought worth sharing.

I had a dream...

A few nights ago, I had a very complicated dream, with lots of skyscrapers supported by chicken wire, street signs 20 stories above the ground, and an incredible flower garden/boarding school for little girls. But, I'll leave out the details of those parts and tell you about God at the end of the checkout lane.

In the dream, somehow I had been entrusted with responsibility for a little boy named Joseph - he was about 6 years old, with very dark wavy hair, and was a sweet, bright child. He was proud of the fact that he knew his name and how to spell it, and was happy to spell his name for anyone who would listen. Joseph was a child of God, and in this dream he was not the only one - there were many of God's children out there, who knew they would meet their Father someday, but did not know where or when. I was asked to take care of Joseph and raise him until the day came when he would meet God, his Father. I think only a year or so passed, but during that time it became clear that Joseph thought quite highly of himself for being God's child. He talked about it to nearly everyone we met, and eventually started introducing himself as God's son rather than as Joseph. One day, we were in a grocery store, and had just finished checking out. At the end of the checkout lane stood a man, and I knew it was God. He was about 10 feet tall, such that my field of vision only included up to his eyebrows - I didn't see his hair. He was unclothed (but not in an X-rated sort of way - there were no "private parts" or anything, just a vague sense of being in a natural state), and...he was an aqua blue color. He smiled gently at Joseph and touched his cheek, then he asked his name. Joseph stammered and realized he couldn't speak his name - he couldn't remember it. Then, God asked him to spell his name (he knew that had always been easy for Joseph) - Joseph couldn't even begin to spell it. But, God smiled and put his arm around the boy, thanked me for taking care of him, and the dream ended.

So, this may sound crazy - I did tell you that it was going to be a strange post! But here's what I thought about it when I woke up. I think there was a moral to the story, and that it was a beautiful reminder about an important aspect of good character. To me, the dream illustrated the importance of humility, and said that if one loses humility and gets an inflated ego, they can lose track of who they really are in the process.

So, the message I have been thinking about today -

Remain humble, lest your true self be lost.

Hugs,
Jeanie

No comments: