Thursday, March 26, 2009

I have a travel companion! :)

Well, with the help of the wonderful online friends I've made, as well as the advice of our adoption agency's director, we have finally come to a decision about our travel plans to Ghana. Since he confirmed that it is not really necessary for Don to go, he is going to stay behind, and instead plan to take some extra time to spend with our new daughter once she gets home. Elena will stay with him, but hopefully with some visits to grandparents as well. She's just not really sure she would want to go.  Hopefully, we'll all go to Africa together someday in the not-too-distant future - maybe to Kenya or Tanzania for a safari adventure!

But, Lydia, our (very emotionally mature) 8-year old, is going to accompany me to Ghana.  I think this will be a great choice for all of us. Lydia will learn a lot (and yes, it will count as social studies and geography lessons for her schoolwork), she describes herself as "not a fancy girl," and is prepared for roughing it quite a bit, and she has a great desire to help others in need.  It will be an experience of a lifetime for her to be able to bring books, paper, crayons and other things to the orphanages in person. She is so socially conscious at her tender age - she's like a little Peace Corps volunteer in the making!

I will benefit from having the extra company along with me - plus, she will be great at keeping our new daughter occupied when I'm doing the boring paperwork and all, and helping learn to just be a kid!  We'll apply for her passport tomorrow, and schedule her for her travel vaccinations. She's very happy to be going, but prepared for the reality of it (to the extent I'm able to prepare her) - we've talked a lot about the not-so-pleasant things that will be part of the trip, pictures from online and all.  She's up for it, and I'm glad...and proud of her! We're in for such an adventure!

I have to say I am SO grateful for the wonderful people in the Ghana adoption groups I've participated in. The advice from those who've already been there is going to make it so much easier for us to plan our journey.

And, through one of their blogs, I learned about the Ghanaian delicacy of bushmeat.  Look it up if you want to know what it really is...if you dare...   I'm starting a poll (see the top of the blog) to find out if any of you have ever actually eaten bushmeat! LOL


-Jeanie

1 comment:

Aimee and Ben said...

hi jeanie! so, you want to know the wort thing about bushmeat? the head of the family gets the "priviledge" of eating the head of the delicious little critter. percy absolutely adores eating the head (yuck). i'm glad to hear that your daughter will be traveling with you - you will be grateful for the company.