Saturday, March 21, 2009

Akwaaba! ("Welcome" in the friendly country of Ghana)

Welcome to Lemon Grove Lane.  For my first post, I'm just going to give you a little hint of what is to come.  I expect to keep this blog updated with progress on Lydia and Elena's homeschooling, our impending Ghana adoption, my latest crafting adventures, and more.  For today, first of all, I wanted to tell you about Lydia and Elena.  We have been having a very happy time together - the homeschooling has turned out to be such a bonding experience.  Lydia is in third grade, and has become very adept at reading and math.  She devours long, classic books faster than I can keep track.  She has learned long division already, and really enjoys math.  Elena zoomed through the Oak Meadow kindergarten curriculum, and so this week, I decided to have her graduate to first grade.  She seems to really thrive on and enjoy the extra bit of challenge - make it all the more interesting.  She is learning the difference between short and long vowel sounds, and is suddenly becoming quite good at reading.  

We have busy preparing for the adoption of our 8-year old soon-to-be daughter from Ghana, in West Africa.  Our homestudy is nearly finalized, after which we will quickly submit our dossier documents for review by the agency.  Once that occurs, we'll get everything notarized and sent to Ghana.  Hopefully, I (or we) can get over there soon.  Initially, we planned that I'd be the only one traveling for the anticipated 2-week trip.  But, a few days ago, we found out that things have changes, and it is more likely going to be a 4-6 week trip at least.  Because we want to keep the momentum with the girls' lessons, because we don't want to impose unduly on family for babysitting, and because it would be a once-in-a-lifetime experience, we are tossing around the idea of bringing the girls.  It's possible that Don will need to go for the first 4 or 5 days, and we might just have the girls there for that time, or have them stay with me.  A family that just returned from there brought their 3 young children, and were very glad they did.  I'll chat more with them about their experiences, particularly their impression of safety issues.
 
I wanted to share with you a photo of the Waldorf doll I made for our new daughter - I plan to bring it to her when I travel over there.  I hope she will like it...

That's all for now - lots of cleaning and organizing to do today...

Jeanie

2 comments:

A. Gillispie said...

Jeannie, you MADE this doll?! Have you thought about making and selling them? That is so cute, and it's not easy to find a Ghanaian-looking doll!
Anita

Jeanie said...

Anita -
Thank you so much for the compliment on the doll! Yes, I did make it - the doll itself from a pattern, but designed most of the outfit myself. I actually do plan to sell handmade crafts through my new Etsy shop (also called Lemon Grove Lane) - and I'd be happy to make custom dolls! If you Google Waldorf dolls, you'll see the various styles out there - but I agree, it is hard to find dolls of particular ethnicities. That's why I made this one especially to resemble our new daughter. :)
-Jeanie